Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Hardest Thing to Write

While I've never had writer's block, I'd be a liar if I said I didn't sometimes have difficulty writing. Like now, for example.

I'm starting Chapter One of a new book - the sequel to Second Time Around, which is titled, Two-Timed. I've got most of the book outlined, I know the characters, I know exactly how I want the story to begin and...

Poop. That's what I'm writing.

If I were finished with the research and prep phase for my new mystery series, I'd start writing that. But I'd probably have the same problem.

You see, the toughest thing for me to write is the opening scene. Doesn't matter if I'm writing a novel, a short story, a magazine article, or my monthly newspaper column. Those opening few words or paragraph are a killer. For every other part of my writing, I simply rattle it off and worry about spelling, grammar, and editing after the first rough draft's done. But for the opener, I angst. I believe in really good opening hooks and, let me tell you, they just don't dream themselves up.

Now that I've procrastinated by writing this post, I think I'll go back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment