Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tell the World You Write

Until I became published in non-fiction, as a magazine article writer and newspaper columnist, I didn't share with the clients of my "day job" that I was a writer. Part of it was, of course, that I was unpublished and a bigger part of it was my concern than my clients wouldn't take me seriously.

Bad decision.

I wound up being solicited by a magazine publisher as a writer for her brand new magazine earlier this evening--at an event that had nothing to do with publishing and everything to do with my "day job!"

The publisher had attended a business meeting earlier this month where I pitched myself as a candidate for president of the organization. After the election, when she was milling around chatting with people, it was mentioned to her that in addition to the resume I'd recited in my speech, I was also a published writer. (My recent mystery release was circulating, since a couple of people had recently purchased copies.) Between then and this evening, when she'd been asking around to see if people knew any local writers, several people referred her to me.

How thrilled do you think I was when she tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to join her staff? How thrilled do you think I am that I finally started marketing myself as a writer to the clients and business associates of my "day job?"

Tell the world that you write. Once it wakes up and takes notice, it'll do so in a big way!

No comments:

Post a Comment