Sunday, June 14, 2009

WHERE Do You Come Up With Your Ideas?

No, I'm not asking you the same question people ask us writers all the time, How do you come up with your ideas?

I'm asking WHERE - as in, physically, geographically. WHERE is your body, and what is it doing, when your best ideas come to mind?

Behind the wheel of your Subaru when you're tooling at 75 MPG on the interstate? During the 10-minute breaks you get each hour when you're making an eight-hour business presentation? Aha, the shower, right? What about when you're horizontal beneath the sheets and unconscious? (I don't know about you, but my unconscious mind works WAY better than my conscious mind. Is that a sign of age? No, don't answer that.)

Most of my best ideas come to me when I'm physically doing something OTHER than writing and generally don't have access to a pen and paper. (Or that wonderful memo tool on my cell phone!)

WHERE are YOU when your best ideas zap that light bulb picture above your head?

1 comment:

  1. I often get story ideas in bed at night when I'm in that semi-conscious state just before dozing off. I remind myself to remember it in the morning. Unfortunately, I've forgotten by then.

    ReplyDelete