Monday, April 11, 2011

I is for I (or me)

One of the things I often say when I present Insurance seminars or career development workships Is: Everyone's favorite person Is themself. (Being aware of this fact is a VERY important aspect of providing Incomparable customer attention--as detailed in my book Taking the Mystery Out of Business: 9 Fundamentals for Professional Success.)

Who's YOUR favorite person? And don't BS me either. Sure, you love your kids and your spouse. But really, when you're thinking your own private thoughts, who's uppermost in your mind? RIGHT: You!

Sometimes, I find myself extremely frustrated at the selfishness and Inconsideration of other people, don't you? Of course you do. That's because you (and I) are more focused on ourselves than we are focused others. We're just like everyone else. We get ticked off when people think about themsevles Instead of about us.

Last week, I told a client I'd be in the office all day except for the hour from 12:30 p.m to 1:30 p.m., which was my lunch hour. He passed that Info along to his daughter, who called me at 11:55 a.m. to tell me she was on her way. When, I asked, did she expect to arrive? "Oh, no later than 12:20. I know you leave for lunch at 12:30." How nice of her (Not!) to provide me with ten minutes to handle a transaction that takes thirty minutes. And she didn't even thank me for delaying my lunch hour to accommodate her Inconsideration!

Because I'm familiar with, and practice, behaviors and skills that show I care about my clients, I still get Irritated when other people aren't considerate. I'd never tell someone off. I don't hesitate to write blog posts about them, however. I guess that's because, like everyone else, I'm only thinking about myself.

What do YOU like best about YOURSELF?

No comments:

Post a Comment