Thursday, April 28, 2011

X isn't so eXact


"X" is a substitute letter.

In Xmas, it's the substitute for Christ. In a signature, it's the substitute for the name of a person who doesn't know how to write.

But what's its purpose in other words? Like:
  • X-acto Precision Instruments - You'd think if they were xacto, they'd be defined by a more precise and definitive appellation.
  • X-Files - I never got that show. I suppose the "X" could be anything you wanted it to be...
  • Xbox - I've heard of it but have no clue what it is.
If I made a product, I'd want it to be unique and different. Something that made the competition look paltry by comparison. I surely wouldn't use the letter "X" as part of its name, thereby diminishing its uniqueness. Shouldn't marketing and advertising have some creativity and pizzazz to it?

Then again, I'm the gal who used her name in each of the businesses she established. Not exactly creative and exciting.

But at least consumers knew my business wasn't the same-old-same-old.

What are your thoughts on the subject of X?

No comments:

Post a Comment